Monday, December 5, 2011

ARRL SSB Sweepstakes

I'll admit it: I am not a fan of Sweepstakes. The exchange is far too long and frustrating, especially for QRP. However, as a member of the Potomac Valley Radio Club, I wanted to do what I could to assist the club in defending our title against the Northern California Contest Club. I hoped to make at least 50 QSOs and deployed a wire antenna since I knew 40m would be an important band and my 1m diameter loop is hopelessly inefficient on 40m.

The wire was in sort of an L shape, hanging out over the balcony on a crappie pole and then dropping about 20 feet. The total length was about 50 feet and was tuned with an MFJ tuner.


Unfortunately, it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped and I gave up after three hours of operating.

Here is the summary as posted to 3830:
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8HM
Operator(s): N8HM
Station: N8HM

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Washington, DC
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Summary:
 Band  QSOs
------------
  160:    
   80:    
   40:   8
   20:   2
   15:   3
   10:   1
------------
Total:  14  Sections = 10  Total Score = 280

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Disappointed. Hoped to make at least 50 QSOs this weekend, but got discouraged
in just a couple of hours of unsuccessful search and pounce.

Ugly. The only positive was working fellow PVRCer N4ZR in West Virginia for a new state for WAS. Next year, I'll find a multi/multi operation to operate at.

No comments:

Post a Comment