Monday, December 5, 2011

The other side of the QSO

One great thing about the internet and ham radio is the ability to confirm QSOs quickly and for little or no cost through eQSL or LoTW. Another thing that is perhaps even greater is the ability to share the other side of the QSO with the other ham.

Screenshot from Sergey, UR3CTB, of our JT65 QSO

Above is a screenshot that Sergey, UR3CTB, sent to me after our 20m JT65 QSO on June 27, 2011. You can see my weak signal on the far right of the waterfall. For more information about JT65, see this eHam.net article: JT65-HF -- an 'Odd' but Fun Digital Mode

In addition to seeing what my signal looked like as it was being received 5,000 miles away in Ukraine, I have also had the opportunity to hear my 5w SSB signal as it sounded at CN2R in Morocco during the 2011 CQ WPX SSB Contest.

CQWPXSSB2011 2 2100-02 by stoetze4

If you have worked CN2R during previous contests, check the CN2R Audio Logbook for your QSO.

During the 2011 Russian DX Contest, I had the pleasure to share a video of my QSO with Tur, YL2SM, in Latvia.

 
Getting to see or hear the other side of a QSO is a great experience and I would encourage all hams to share audio, video, or screenshots of memorable or interesting QSOs.

No comments:

Post a Comment