Thursday, January 12, 2012

Portable Operation in Michigan

I traveled to my home state of Michigan during the holidays and brought along my gear. Though I didn't end up doing much operating, I did make a few interesting contacts.

My equipment was the same as I use at home: Yaesu FT-817ND, Signalink USB, and an AlexLoop Walkham Portable Magnetic Loop. Instead of my desktop computer, I used a Dell Mini 10v netbook running the Windows 8 Developer Preview. All of this equipment fit into four small bags. The transceiver and netbook were carried in my carry-on luggage while the antenna and miscellaneous accessories were carried in my checked luggage.

Clockwise from top left: 1. AlexLoop Walkham Portable Magnetic Loop in carrying case, 2. Targus netbook case with Yaesu FT-817ND, Signalink USB, MFJ Power Supply, and Miracle Ducker antenna,. 3. Case Logic Portable DVD Player case with wire antennas and accessories, 4. Targus netbook case with Dell Mini 10v netbook.

Unfortunately, my camera tripod would not fit into my suitcase, so I traveled without a suitable support for the antenna. When operating, I set everything up on my grandparents' oversized chair and ottoman.

Operating JT65 from my portable setup.
I set up the station first on December 23rd at around 1900Z and operated PSK31 with Fldigi. I worked KF4RWA in Tuscaloosa, AL on 20m, KJ4TLB in Clermont, FL on 15m, KA1BSZ in Fairlee, VT on 20m, and CO2VE in Cuba on 20m.

On December 26th, I set the station up earlier (just after 1400Z) to try to work some DX on JT65. After just a few minutes of calling CQ, my signal was copied all over Europe on 15m.

Viewing my PSKReporter JT65 spots using the Hamlog iPhone app
With the antenna tuned to 15m, I proceded to work W4JHC in LaFayette, LA and N5YLJ in Wichita Falls, TX before taking a break for breakfast. At 1614Z, I worked F5RRS in France.

View of my netbook screen after working F5RRS on 15m JT65.
I went on to work EA7DUD in Spain at 1629Z, GM4UYE in Scotland at 1650Z, and EI1DG in Ireland at 1713Z.

Shortly after 1730Z, I went to check out 20m and worked W1VVV in Hampton, NH at 1755Z.

PSKReporter spots as of 1748Z on December 26th

Shortly after working W1VVV, I saw KL8DX in Healy, AK calling CQ. As I follow KL8DX on Twitter (@KL8DX) and am a regular reader of his blog (My take on 63 Degrees of Propagation), I was determined to complete a QSO with him. He had quite a few callers, so it was tricky to get through with my weak signal. Finally, I was able to get through and complete the QSO at 1847Z. He gave me a decent signal report of -16dB and copied one of my signals at -14dB.

Screenshot from KL8DX of our QSO.

That was the last QSO I made while in Michigan. It was quite fun to make several DX QSOs with Europe and Alaska with such a minimal setup and an indoor antenna.

2 comments:

  1. Paul, it was great to get ya in the log and I'm very impressed with the reviews I see on that antenna. Steve, WG0AT just produced a video on this same antenna. So, I got to get me one of those! Very cool to make it back into 8land and it's always neat to see the "other side" of the QSO! Good DX'n and hope to see you again soon on the bands! 73 - Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    I have tried to operate from an apartment with balcony and had a terrible time trying to tune the Alex Loop below 2:1 swr. Indoors, RF was almost non-existent. Once I did get the Alex Loop tuned, it seemed like if I just breathed on it, it would de tune. I'm wondering if I had a defective unit? Got any secrets for Loop use? Otherwise I'm thinking of going the buddistick or buddipole route.

    73,
    Ka2Zey

    ReplyDelete